Today's project started with the fabric. In early December, I saw some beautiful Winnie the Pooh fabrics by Visage Textiles in John Lewis and knew immediately that I had to purchase them. The set features five designs and the questions were which project, which combination of cottons and for whom would I make something for. My mum was the obvious candidate as she's a big Disney fan and luckily she had mentioned she needed a new kindle case.
I went back to the shop and spent a very long time considering the designs. I eventually settled on the pale green one featuring Winnie the Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, and Tigger engaging in a number of activities. This would be the outer cover. I chose the white one featuring only Pooh, content with his honeypot and balloons to act as the complementary lining. I purchased half a metre of both. The cotton is of excellent quality and supple when washed.
I played a little loose with the size. After making a card template of the kindle's size, I added a few centimetres around it. I then double the length, added seam allowance and an additional centimetre to allow for the centre fold and for turning the cover through the right side. Two layers of stiff sew in interfacing provide the cover's structure while a single layer of fleece cut from an old dressing gown provides some cushioning. To lift the cover's colours and to add a nice detail, I chose a sage green piping made from thin cord and bought bias binding. The elastic is a sturdy sports elastic with a light blue zigzag as it complemented the fabric more than plain white which looked too stark.
Construction was fairly simple. I basted the piping to the outer green cotton and then the elastic to the outer edges. The various fabrics were then layered: white cotton lining right side up, green cotton right side down, interfacing, fleece, interfacing. As it resembled a giant fabric sandwich, wonder clips kept everything in place. I used a denim needle to work through the thick layers and left a large gap in the stitching at the bottom away from the centre fold which was slip stitched into place after turning. Stitching smooth curves was tricky due to the number of layers. Turning through was the hardest part as I wanted to minimise the number of creases in the interfacing and not tear the more delicate cotton. The inside elastics were anchored very securely by hand.
Thankfully the kindle fits in perfectly and sits safely in the elastic holds. I'm fond of this project as the fabric are playful, uplifting, and fun - the perfect background for escaping into a good novel.